1. Mares or Geldings? Why?
Can I put in a vote for stallions? That may make me slightly crazy but I really like riding and working with stallions. They don’t have the sass of a mare but they are more personable than geldings in general. Of course, it depends on the stallion but the ones that are regularly worked with can be perfectly good citizens, even around mares.
2. Green-broke or Fully Broke?
My horse ownership has tended towards green if not a completely blank slate. One day, I wouldn’t mind buying something made but it hasn’t happened yet.
3. Would you own a “hotter” breed (ie. Arabian, Trakhener, etc).
Haha yes, seeing as I currently do! I don’t find them to be “hot” so much as just sensitive – which I like. I am not a dare devil but I don’t like a constant push ride either.
4. What was your “dream horse” growing up?
I always loved a handful of ideas. I liked the idea of taking a wild mustang and starting it myself. I loved the idea of an Andalusian for dressage and moonlit rides on the beach. I also liked the idea of an OTTB to restart. I’ve done the OTTB which was fun. But honestly, I’ve been very very blessed to own several horses over the past almost 20 years and they were all my dream horse in one way or another.
5. What kind of bit(s) do you use and why?
Snaffles, generally. Nibbles currently goes in a fulmer which she seems to really like and Joker prefers the hackamore though with my new bridle, I may throw a snaffle on him and see how he goes.
6. Helmets or no helmets?
7. Favorite horse color?
I really love greys, again making me slightly crazy like the stallion thing. Quic Silver shampoo is my friend. But I also love Nibbles’ rich, mahogany bay.
8. Least favorite horse color?
I’m not super fond of roans just because I think they can look dirty. Then again, I LOVE strawberry roans so I guess I can’t say I have a real least favorite.
9. Dressage or Jumping?
Dressage but I do enjoy jumping on something that knows how to jump. I don’t think Nibbles and I will be eventing anytime soon. Jumps seem to baffle her and sap her brain of any coordination.
10. How many years have you been riding?
11. Spurs/whip or no spurs/whip?
Depends on the horse. I don’t have a problem with either.
12. Your first fall?
Probably in 1998 or at the latest 1999. I was jumping a tiny gelding over a tiny cross rail and he stopped. I went flying over his shoulder and landed on my feet, still holding the reins. I couldn’t land on my feet now if my life depended on it haha!
13. When was the last time you rode and what did you do?
I rode on New Years Eve and I took my step daughter for a ride before giving her a mini-lesson where she rode solo for the first time. She’s 6 1/2.
14. Most expensive piece of tack you own?
My dressage saddle, which I’ve recently learned is not wool flocked but foam and I’m not super happy about it *grumble*
15. How old were you when you started riding?
16. Leather or Nylon halters?
17. Leather or Synthetic saddles?
18. What “grip” of reins do you like?
I use laced reins generally.
19. English or Western?
20. How many horses do you currently own/lease?
I own two, one of which is out on a brood lease. I unofficially lease Joker from my other horse’s trainer.
21. Do you board your horse? Self-care/full board? Home board?
I do board. I have done the board at home thing before and it leaves you virtually unable to leave your property so I don’t recommend it until you realize that.
22. Have you ever had to put down a horse that you loved?
Yes, a handful.
23. How many saddlepads do you have?
Four I think. They seem to grow legs and wander away…
24. Slant-load trailer or straight haul?
Yes, you can give me either and I’d be happy 😉
25. Why do you ride?
Because life is short and it lights up my soul like nothing else.