Thanks for the great questions, L. over at Viva Carlos!
- Is there something you don’t like about your riding? Right now, how rusty it is. I’m dying because my seat used to be so solid and I never tried to use my hands. Now, I remember what that felt like but I only get it for fleeting moments. Practice practice practice.
- Does your horse buck? Nibbles hasn’t done this under saddle yet…but watch now that I’ve written it down…
- Is your horse head shy? Not really. She used to be bad about taking the bridle but we worked through that. She’s a friendly horse who will throw her face at you for pets.
- Favorite barn chore to do? I like mucking and I like cleaning my tack. Both are a form of therapy.
- How many times do you ride a week? I have been shooting for no less than 3 days/week. I’ve been lucky with 4 or even 5 days lately. I have to fight for barn time and sometimes it’s hard. But I can see the benefits!
- Who is your favorite pro rider? Oh man. I don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t think Denny Emerson is amazing. But as he’s not still competing at the upper levels today, I’ll go with Ingrid Klimke. I love the way she trains and rides and the fact that as a dressage rider, she does not limit herself or her horses to just dressage. I admire that hugely.
- If one pro rider could train you for one day who would it be? Hmmm, I’d love to have someone from the Spanish Riding School
tortureeducate me on the lunge line. Does that make me sick in the head?
- Favorite Facial Marking? I love Nibbles’ big, crooked blaze. But I think my favorite are big white noses and white lips – of which Nibbles has both!
- Leg Markings or No Leg Markings? Ha. Okay, I love me some chrome and Nibbles has quite a bit. And I actually take a lot of pride in white socks. But seeing as Nibbles is allergic to whitening/purple shampoos, I’m not having near as much fun with it. And it bothers me. There, I admit it! Hi, I’m Rebecca and I’m addicting to having the whitest socks in the barn.
- Ever broken anything falling off? Cracked a growth plate coming off an OTTB after a jump. She did nothing wrong but the bridle I had snapped for no apparently reason and it whacked her in the chest, she grabbed the bit in her teeth and off we went. I bailed but did a poor job of it and my ankle didn’t come out of the stirrup like I intended. I’ve fallen off plenty but that’s the only broken bone I can boast of (knock on much wood!).